Follow Christ • Love God • Love Others • Serve the World
...for though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more" 1 Corinthians 9:19
A high value was placed on these concepts in scripture and it should be at Bethel also. What has to happen in us so that we reflect God's glory? We must:
Follow Christ - Mark 1:14-20
- The commitment by which Jesus saves us (Matthew 4:25; John 10:27).
- The commandment by which Jesus separates us (Mark 8:34; John 21:17-22).
- The commission by which Jesus Sends us (John 20:21, 1 Peter 2:21).
Love God - 1 Corinthians 8:3 Do you truly love God?
- True love for God is evidence God knows us (1 Corinthians 8:3).
- True love for God is a saving response to God's love for us (1 John 4:10).
- True love for God manifests itself in a delight in and a commitment to obey (1 John 5:1-3).
- True love for God manifests itself in a love for others (1 John 5:1, 4:20).
Love Others - 1 John 4:21; John 13:34 Love others includes brethren, the lost and our enemies. Do you truly love others?
- True love for others is sourced in God's gift, command, and teaching (I John 4:7,21; 1 Thessalonians 4:9).
- True love for others is the` fertile ground of growth in grace (Galatians 5:6, 22-23; Colossians 1:7-8).
- True love for others is an active and abiding principle in the life of a Christ-follower (1 Thessalonians 1:3; Hebrews 6:10, 13:1; 1 Corinthians 13:8, 16:14; Philippians 1:9).
- True love for others puts the concerns of others above our own (Colossians 3:14; 1 Corinthians 14:1; Hebrews 10:24; Romans 12:9; 1 John 3:18; 1 Corinthians 10:23, 13:5; Philippians 2:3-4).
- True love for others is to be shown toward saints, pastors, family members, fellow-citizens, strangers, and enemies-that is to say, ALL PEOPLE.
- True love for others expresses itself in ministering to their needs, sympathizing with their weaknesses, covering their faults, forgiving their injuries, bearing patiently with them, rebuking them in their stubborness.
Serve the World - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 The world is NOT ready for us to serve them. They expect the church to either condemn them or try and get something from them. Though free from all, I have made myself a servant to all that I might win some.
- The world of the unchurched is best engaged when it is served (1 Corinthians 9:19-22). Paul was willing to meet all sorts of people in all sorts of circumstances where they were in order to serve their deepest need-a saving encounter with Jesus Christ that would make them right with God.
- The worthiness of the gospel is best expressed when it is shared with a servant heart (1 Corinthians 9:23).